“Maaf tidak ada makanan Indonesia”, sorry we have no Indonesian food.
This small capitol have a low population of Asian people, it is about 300. So, no wonder if any Asian food is rare here. Moreover, the Indonesian. Fortunatelly, I have a fleksibel taste and accept other cuisine. So in this very short journey, I always want to try the traditional food and beverage here. So far, I have tried 6 traditional things:
- Hot Brown: This is the number one recomendation of traditional food from Kentucky. It contain bread, bacon, egg and minimum 2 types of cheese. It made me so full. So many thing in one plate. So cheezyyyy
2. Burgoo : This food is os ancient in Kentucky. They used to use any animal like squirell, deer and others. But nowadays, they only use turkey, pork and beef. It feel a bit sour and spicy. Very good in rainy day. Make you feel warm.
3. Kentucky Fried Chicken: I know you know it guys! KFC! Colonel Sanders! no any word! However, you have not go to Kentucky without eat the original receipt of KFC. I try to compare the KFC here. I also come to Claudia Sanders Restaurant (Colonels Sanders wife). The portion is big, but it was nice.
4. Mint Julep: Unfortunatelly I dont take picture when drinking Mint Julep. So, Mint Julep is a traditional mandatory drink in Derby Day (Horse Racing Day). This guy told me how to make it. Basically, you just need to mix Bourbon, Crushed Ice, Syrup and Mint. It was awful, many people here dont like it. But its kind of tradition, so everyone should try at least once.
5. Ale8: This one also very popular in Kentucky. You can easily find it in the nearest store. No alcohol. It is a Ginger Ale. I love it.
6. Bourbon: 95% of world bourbon is produced in Kentucky. You should try! It need 8-9 years to make bourbon. over time, the colour, taste, and smell will change.
As a bonus, my best roomate also cook me a diner. Special receipt from Myanmar.
So no need to find Indonesian Food. Enjoy your food!